Ferries used to embark from the Alter Fährkopf pier when crossing to the other side of the Moselle. After the completion of the bridge in 1979, the ferry was discontinued. The paved surface of the Fährkopf, almost like water itself, descends slowly into the water to allow vehicles to launch boats. The picnic lawn, numerous parking options and jetty for passenger boats make the Fährkopf a popular destination for water sports enthusiasts and nature lovers in the summer.
This small quarry stone building, built in the 19th century, housed a government-controlled verification facility from 1875 to 1969. The verification officer was appointed there to inspect the capacity of wine casks. Today the building is home to historical objects that were used for wine-growing.
Cross of Minheim
A steep path starting on the opposite side of the Moselle leads up to the Cross of Minheim, which is now a radiant white again after its restoration in 2015. The monument was raised by courageous citizens of Minheim during the Nazi period. This was spurred by the banning of crucifixes from schools in the village of Minheim.
On a small rocky outcrop above the scenic road there is a shrine to Donatus, the patron saint of weather. The shrine was established here in 1777 with good reason, since the location allows him to watch far over the vineyard hills of the Moselle Valley, even reaching the fields and open country of the Hunsrück mountains.
Above the wine village of Piesport, a scenic road runs between Minheim and the village of Klausen in Eifel. Enjoy the view of the Moselle Valley from any of the numerous rest stops. The view stretches over two meanders of the Moselle river, extending far off into the adjacent Hunsrück mountains.
In the years 1710 to 1718, the plague chapel was built on the outskirts of the village heading towards Klausen. It is a symbol of gratitude from the citizens of Minheim who survived the plague in the years before. After the monument was torn down due to the construction of the district road in 1966, it was reconstructed in 1989 at its current site in the vineyards leading towards the Minheimer Wald forest.
Parish church of St. John the Baptist
The first mention of a church in Minheim can be found in the year 1064. Our current parish church was built from 1840–1842 to replace the church from 1680, which also had replaced its predecessor. The new structure was a major challenge for the village community, since finances were very limited. For this reason, it was resolved that the community itself would carry out the excavation work for the foundation. Due to wall remnants in the excavation area, it was resolved to expand the plot to achieve a favourable excavation of the foundation. Read more here.
From the Burglay, you have a fantastic view of the Wintrich/Minheim barrage. From this site you can watch the impressive scene as boats pass through the lock. It generally takes 35 minutes for a boat to pass through the lock. Moselle developed into an important navigation route in the years 1958–1964. It connects the Rhine River, the busiest waterway in the world, and the largest sea harbour in the world in Rotterdam with the French canal network and the Saar River.
Below the village, from the Alter Fährkopf pier to the Moselle lock, a footpath and bicycle route leads directly along the banks of the Moselle River for about 2.2 kilometres: the riverside promenade. Downstream of the Fährkopf, you arrive at the “Sonneninsel” motorhome camp after about 600 metres, and then the exit basin of the lock after another 1000 metres. Numerous benches along the entire path, as well as the large paved area along the exit basin, invite visitors to take in the view of the Moselle.